Beata Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to Beata! Come chat with us on Discord.
The in-game year is 2054.
Join us at the Winter Formal!
The city is seeing a sharp spike in violent crime. It's not safe to walk alone.

Star Angel [One-shot]

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Splotch

Splotch

Star Angel [One-shot] Empty
PostSubject: Star Angel [One-shot]   Star Angel [One-shot] EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 11:07 pm

Shepard watched the green trees roll by in an endless sea of green. The dense trees did little to comfort him as the Greyhound Bus rolled on. A silence fell over the bus as the sun began to set behind him, casting golden light through the trees. In a bus full of travelers, night was welcome to rest their eyes. Except for the only gifted person on the bus, who had pried his eyes from the trees illuminated in light toward his phone. The gps showed the route, indicating another hour or so distance to his location.

Mackinaw Township. The most northern part of Michigan. After a flight into Lansing, Shepard spent so far two hours into the drive, absentmindedly tapping the bracelet he and Joanna shared, smiling to himself when the buzz was returned shortly after he tapped. She didn’t seem convinced it was going to be a mission without the possibility of death, and resolved to buzzing Shepard constantly, sometimes sending messages. Though holding a conversation though the bracelets was difficult, and having any hint of his other world on his phone would be difficult to explain to anyone who took his phone.

After the blank cult group had attacked another place within the week, his father told him he was going out of the city for a while. It was a relatively contained attack, but the fact that Shepard had been at the location not minutes before seemed to terrify his father. Not that Leo would openly share that fear with him, but Shepard knew a lot about his dad. He was scared. Shepard figured if Leo had it his way, Shepard and his siblings would be locked in the safest room in all of River’s Pointe for the rest of his natural life.

Yet part of Leo, Shepard was sure, wanted the very best for them, and did his best to keep the three and almost four of them safe. Though, Shepard had a feeling that this mission he was on, was his father’s way of locking him away. To keep him away from the strengthening power of Null. Shepard almost resented that, but had been itching to get out of River’s Pointe since he broke his leg in the last mission.

With a deep sigh, Shepard pulled out his notebook and hidden in the middle was the notes for the mission, as well as a picture of the boy he was trying to get in contact with. Osmond Warren, known to his friends as Ozzie. Beata scouts believe he has Telekinesis, and a letter was sent to the home with no response. Any attempts to communicate with Ozzie outside of school was with no success. Which is why they needed someone his age to step in and try and figure out what was going on.

Which is where Shepard came in.

Adorned with a schedule with classes almost lining up with Osmond’s excluding 2 of his classes, and with the backstory of being a foster child that moved into town, and would explain when he left town.

His father had friends who had moved from Big Rapids to the Mackinaw Township, and they were the people who would pick him up at the Greyhound Bus Stop. Last time Shepard had met them, he was five or so. Needless to say, he didn’t remember them at all. But, they would be playing the role of foster parents.

Blue eyes fell on the face of Osmond. Brown hair, brown eyes, wide eyes that almost reminded Shepard of a child, and a blank neutral frown on his face. Shepard hook his head as he shut the notebook and slid it into his bag in the seat next to him. What kind of person doesn’t smile for his yearbook photo?

Night had fallen by the time the bus arrived. Crickets burst into song as the blond stepped out of the bus and into the chilly spring air. Though, unlike the others on the bus, Shepard wore a t-shirt, as the cold never had an effect on him. With a bag strung over his shoulder and a suitcase in his hand, the blond tentatively stepped into the parking lot. No one told him what they looked like, what kind of car they drove--nothing.

Helplessly, Shepard scratched at the back of his head under the street light. Until a voice called out his name.

”Shepard!” A woman’s voice echoed, as a shorter woman approached him. She had long red hair, and the biggest smile he had ever seen on someone’s face. ”There you are! Look how tall you are!” Claire Clark commented, as she came to a stop in front of him, admiring him. ”Though, I will say your father was a little taller than you when he was your age. Must be your mom then, huh?”

”I--”

”Oh, Fern is in the car. We shouldn’t keep her waiting, huh Shepard? Welp, come on!” With that she lead him towards a small red car, not giving him time to say anything. Though, Shepard figured it was more of her excitement than rudeness.

After a long few seconds of Claire insisting on putting his luggage in the car, and Shepard insisting he could put in his luggage just fine, they were on their way to their house, which was one of many down a long narrow road walled with dense trees. During the time, they asked a lot about Shepard’s family, his father, and his siblings.

Not that Shepard minded at all, they were family friends, and this was the last time he was going to be able to speak of home before the mission started. From tomorrow morning on, he was Shepard Herman. Orphan. Living through the generosity of foster homes, traveling to one after another.

That is what he told himself as he unpacked in the Clark’s guest bedroom. With a tired sigh, the blond tapped in a last message to Joanna. “S - a - f - e. G - o - o - d - n - i - g - h - t.” Then plugging in his phone and bracelet to charge. Tomorrow was going to be a long day, and part of him missed home already.

Hell. Was the school really this small? Why had he expected it to be bigger than Beata? A new student as going to cause a lot of gossip. If he did one thing wrong it could mean a mission failure. The short brick building stood in front of him. ‘Mackinaw City Comets!’ a sign said, with various dates of events under the header.

As Shepard stared at the building with growing anxiety, more and more students arrived to head inside, their gazes turning towards him, then back to their friends whispering as they looked away. Suddenly feeling self conscious, he began to head in, head down. Beata had always felt like a home to him, it’s all he knew. But being away from home, and attending this new school, Shepard felt very very alienated. Gingerly, he tapped the bracelet, knowing Joanna wouldn’t be in class until an hour or so after him if he judged timezones properly. It was only after he entered the main hall that she buzzed back.

Students milled about, chattering away. Just like Beata, it was easy to understand who was a freshman and who as a senior. Mostly younger students hung out in the entrance to the main building, Shepard observed as he made his way past. It didn’t seem like they bothered to hide their stares as they burned the back of his head.

In this school everyone knew everyone, and Shepard was the unknown. He grimaced, knowing a low profile was not a choice any more.

After a rather harsh conversation with a security guard who was annoyed with him about not knowing where his classes are, Shepard arrived at his first class of the day with a minute to spare. English. A lady in her mid 40s who sat at the teacher’s desk did not look up as he stepped in. Long fingernails tapped annoyingly away at her computer, tilting her head with pursed lips. It was only after her email did she look up at Shepard.

”Yes, how can I help you?” She asked with a sharp tone, looking up at him through her green glasses. Before Shepard could respond, the woman continued. ”Oh, right. New student. Fine.” As she finished her sentence, the bell rang. Tired looking students put away their phones, looking up with mute interest. ”Well, go on. Introduce yourself. Name, where you are from, and an interesting fact about yourself.” The teacher instructed him, waving her hand dismissively.

Shepard took a breath, and turned to face the students. Instantly, his eyes spotted Osmond near the back, but took his eyes away to look at the rest of the students. ”Uh, I’m Shepard Herman. I’m from Big Rapids.” Not a complete lie, his father was born there, and he visited every few years. ”And I…” He trailed off, not sure about what fact to give. ’Oh, and I can control the stars. How cool is that? By the way, my dad is an angel and my mom can control the moon. My siblings are cupid, and my best friend can read my fucking mind.’ Maybe not the best way to go. ”I like to hike.” Lame.

Not one student looked impressed, which was fine by Shepard’s standards. Mrs. Estrada, as Shepard came to remember from his schedule, pointed him to one of the empty desks, all of which were upfront. Holding back a sigh, Shepard sat down, doing his best to ignore the stares and more whispers. Shepard was the unknown. Of course they would whisper. Though, Mrs. Estrada was having none of the chatter in her class, snapping at the girls in the back for being particularly loud, then handing out poems to the class so they could look over them and find symbolism in the works.

None of this was down Shepard’s ally. The blond resigned himself to a long class period.

History was pretty much the same, but the teacher did not force him to introduce himself to the class, nor did he pay Shepard much mind. Osmond was next to his seat, but didn’t speak to Shepard. As to not draw too much attention to himself, Shepard didn’t speak to Osmond.

Lunch was something else. Having one of the earliest lunches of the day, Shepard didn’t feel hunger, rather a severe awkwardness. After a while of searching, Shepard finally decided to stop at a table where he had overheard talk of video games. They gave him a long look before nodding to let him join their table.

Hardly able to suppress a grin, Shepard joined them and listened intently for part of the lunch. One tall boy was named Truman, Dorian was the boy with round glasses and green eyes, Bently was the boy who snorted when he laughed--which was very cute--, and Niel who was working on his math homework instead of eating.

It was when the conversation turned to Super Smash Shepard allowed himself to join the conversation. At first the group seemed shocked he was speaking, but after he made a point about one of Fox’s combos did they truly accept him at their table.

”Hey, Shep. If you want to join us at the table for lunch tomorrow that would be pretty chill.” Bently offered as the bell rang and students sluggishly rose out of their seats.

A grin broke across Shepard’s face, dimples becoming obvious. ”Yeah that would be cool.”

It was math where Shepard and Osmond first spoke. Not by either’s own will. That day, had unfortunately been a test. Thankfully, the teacher offered ten minutes to prepare for the test ahead of time, which also gave Shepard enough of a chance to talk to the teacher about the test. The teacher looked him over before seemingly taking pity on him and showing him what they were learning.

”Have you learned these concepts yet?” She pushed as he looked over the concepts.

”Yeah, I think I’m a unit or two ahead. But I haven’t covered this unit in a while…” He trailed off, looking troubled, blue eyes flicking back up to the older lady, with her sandy hair in a bun.

She gave him a wrinkled smile. ”Well, I’ll have a student share the class notes with you, and if you do good on the test you can keep the grade, if not, I’ll just drop the test for you. Okay hun?” With Shepard’s grateful nod the woman called across the classroom to a student. ”Osmond, would you mind sharing your notes with Shepard here? Thank you darlin’”

Offering his thanks, Shepard cringed inwardly, not desiring to talk to the student yet. Immediately being in contact with a target was suspicious. Most gifteds outside of Beata were suspicious of everyone, and judging by the look Osmond was giving him, there was a distrustful  glint in his eyes. ”Thanks for sharing your notes, Osmond.” Shepard managed, not studying but rather letting his proximity to Osmond be his chance to look him over.

The other student wore long sleeves, which is to be expected in the cold times. While the snow had melted, the wind chill was nothing to scoff at. But, the sleeves of his shirt went further than his wrist to cover part of his hands, Osmond’s fingers were thin and somewhat scarred, his fingernails were cut short to the point of nubs. On his ring finger of his right hand was a bump from how he held his pencil.

Osmond must have noticed Shepard’s gaze, as he gave the blond a withering look. Immediately Shepard held up his hands in self defense. ”I was just watching you work out the problem.” Osmond didn’t seem to buy his excuse and rolled his eyes.

”Whatever. Just leave me alone.”

”R-right.”

The test went rather poorly. Shepard had spent most of his time getting used to the sight of Osmond rather than studying. Which he supposed is fine, as the test was getting dropped, and Shepard was not there for the grades. As the bell rang, Osmond swiftly left the room, stopping by a short haired girl just outside of the door where they shared a few words then looked over at Shepard. Who flicked his eyes to watch the other students leave as to not confirm any suspicions.

By the time Shepard looked back they were gone, and the room was nearly empty. Biting his lip, the blond looked back down at his schedule, the next class Shepard was aware, was not one of the classes he had with Osmond. PE. Good. something he was better at.

”Need help getting to your next class?” Came a sweet voice. As Shepard turned around toward the voice, his first thought was something along the lines in respect to how much makeup was caked onto her face. The second was that she was awkwardly close to him.

Despite the awkward closeness, Shepard managed the best smile he could. ”If you don’t mind? I have to go to the gymnasium for PE.” The girl gave him a darling smile and pulled his arm.

”Of course! I like, have to go there anyways~”

Their walk was slower than Shepard would have liked. The girl loved to talk about the school, and the surrounding city as well as Macinac Island. She raved about the view from the island, then suddenly jumped to another point of conversation as one ended. Neither having much of a flow. The three minute walk to the gym was nothing short of gossip and random factoids. Shepard had lost interest pretty fast, starting from the moment when she dissed a girl for how she dressed, her snide comment and hair toss as she looked back up at Shepard. For what, he didn’t know, maybe approval?

”Here we are, Shepard~” She looked up with a large smile, and as Shepard looked back confused, she pouted at him. ”I’m like, in your first hour, Shepard. My name is Mia.”

Shepard flushed, blue eyes glancing toward the gym. ”Oh, I’m sorry. I was out of it this morning. Uh, thanks for walking me to class, Mia.” His voice was more forced than he meant to. Suddenly, he found himself disliking the girl even more.

The smile returned, ”Any time~ By the way, I know like, a hiking trail, we could totally go hiking sometime. It would like, be so much fun, yeah?” Shepard opened his mouth to try and come up with an excuse not to, but was interrupted before he could manage. ”Perfect! I’ll let you know when is a good time. I have to go to class, see you later!”

She turned and skipped in the other direction, meeting up with another group of girls before they began a walk in the other direction. Shepard narrowed his eyes as she left, She definitely didn’t have a class near the gym, and definately only wanted to talk about herself. As Shepard entered gym class, he wondered if he even gotten a word in edgewise.

Gym was easy. Most had trouble running the mile, and were particularly either offended or impressed that Shepard didn’t break a sweat. With how normally Shepard’s body regulate his temperature, he didn’t need sweat. His power did it for him. Not that he could tell them. Just a laugh and waving it off. The many hours spent staying fit at home paid off for something.

However, that confidence wore off as soon as he stepped into his next class. ’Who the fuck put me in Spanish III?’ He thought to himself as he arrived into the small classroom with various flags of spanish countries lining the walls. ’I haven’t taken Spanish since freshman year, and that was Spanish I. Why? What kind of cruel person…?’

It was needless to say that Shepard struggled through that class, and it was difficult for him to even introduce himself in Spanish. Sighing heavily as he left the class, the blond nearly bumped into the short haired girl who Osmond had met up with after math class ended. She glared at him past her sharp eyeliner, jaw set in obvious hatred.

”I’m sorry!” Shepard insisted, but the girl turned away before he could be certain she heard him. Defeatedly, Shepard walked slowly towards his next class, trying to fathom in his mind what could have caused Osmond to dislike him instantly. Paranoia? Perhaps. One could never be sure.

”Shepard! I can take you to your class again!” The same sickly sweet voice called from behind him, brushing up his arm to peer at his class list.

”I actually think I’ve go--”

”D120? Oh that’s not too far away. She chirped, staying at his side as they walked. Somehow she managed to pick up conversation where they left off not two hours prior. Shepard did his best to keep his mouth shut, gritting his teeth. He could not take more of Mia. If he had to deal with her chattering about her rich parents, or her many beauty pageants the entire time he was here, Shepard would rather sit in Spanish III for the rest of his life. Arguably that hell was better than Mia hell.

As soon as the door was in sight, Shepard picked up his pace, waving to Mia. ”Got to go, class. Bye!” Then, not looking back he swiftly stepped into the class before she could come after him.

Physics was...Interesting. The teacher seemed to enjoy poking fun at Shepard for being new. All in good humor, the blond supposed. In which Shepard took as best as he could, responding with all the wit he could muster. ”Curiosity killed the cat.”

”But satisfaction brought it back, Mr.Howell.”

A hearty laugh, ”Very good, Herman! Atta boy.” Not many teachers in Shepard’s time would call him by his last name. Felt odd, like someone was addressing his father more than himself.

The blond almost forgot that Osmond was in his class that period. The only reminder is the student, the short haired girl, and a large boy leaving the classroom as a group, whispering among themselves as the left the class, final period over.

With the long day over, Shepard tapped the bracelet on his arm as he followed the river of students out of the building, and toward the back of the school where the busses waited to take students home. Worn out, Shepard lifted his student ID to the bus driver who had picked him up that morning, and turned toward the middle of the bus and slumped tiredly into his seat. To not practice his power that day drained his morale, and was the driving force to get him to his classes in Beata. But nearly none of his classes interested him in this normal town.

It was going to be a long mission if it went at this pace.

Shepard almost missed it. Osmond walking toward the same direction of his house, as the bus roared by. Brows raised, the blond flicked his music off  and turned his head to watch as the bus passed him. Why didn’t Osmond take the bus?

His night was spent planning his friendship with Osmond, with occasional cramming of Spanish. Why he was placed in that class, he didn’t know. But they wouldn’t have placed him in that class if he didn’t need to.

Shepard gently tapped out another message to Joanna as he felt the wave of tired energy fall over him like a wool blanket. Heavy and warm.

g - o - o - d - n - i  - g - h - t
Back to top Go down
Splotch

Splotch

PostSubject: Re: Star Angel [One-shot]   Star Angel [One-shot] EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 11:08 pm

The next day didn’t go any better. More distrustful glares from Osmond’s small friend group, and more nasally one sided conversations from Mia, who had taken to talking about her army of friends, having decided that Shepard was now one of them.

However, lunch was a godsend.

Instead of sitting on the outskirts of the group, the boys pulled him into the middle, sandwiching Shepard with Bently. Dorian, as Shepard began to realize, reminded him a lot of Nick, mostly for his snide assholeish nature, but there was a humor behind it that Shepard couldn’t find offensive. Truman reminded Shepard of Stephen too, though, he supposed it was just the height difference.

”So, Shepard. This Saturday we are all gunna hang at Truman’s place. You down?” Bently offered, head tilted with an amused smile as Niel made a snide comment about him wanting to play Super Smash.

”Yeah!” Shepard found himself agreeing before he got a moment to think. He had intended to spend the weekend scouting out Osmond’s house, doing actual mission work. However, after the moment passing and an exchange of numbers, Shepard was certain he made the right move. He had to play the part of a teenager. If he said no to every single invitation to hang out, it would be suspicious.

That was what he told himself as he walked home that day. While the bus was nice, seeing Osmond walk all the way to his house made Shepard wonder if he needed a walking buddy perhaps. If his house was in the same direction as Shepard’s it wouldn’t hurt to take the same path as him.

The walk was much longer than Shepard expected, easily thirty minutes. It seemed much shorter on the bus. However, as they walked the gravel path, Osmond walked a good few yards ahead. Shepard didn’t do anything to hide the fact he was behind him, as his excuse that his house was down this path was viable.

The path lead through a small park and into the dense woods. In the distance, Seagulls called, reminding Shepard how close to the lake they were at this point. Not maybe a mile away was the straights, and ferry into Mackinac Island. Osmond seemed to have heard them too, as he looked up towards them, Then, his eyes flicked to Shepard behind him as his head was turned.

Brown eyes met blue, and for along moment they paused in their step. Osmond turned his head away and slouched forward, picking up his paces to something much faster than before. Shepard balked, feet rooted in the gravel path. In the far distance he could see Osmond take a right into the neighborhood ahead.

Alone in the green pathway, Shepard let out a sigh. He supposed he was pampered with the open nature of the students back at home. While most wouldn’t tell you their deepest and darkest secrets, most would at least hold conversation with you. Not only that, but small talk was easy and obvious. Shepard would often fall back on asking about someone’s power’s to get them to talk. There was usually pride when they responded.

No one really ever ignored Shepard.

Except maybe Joanna when she was mad, but even that was different.

BUZZ

Eyes still locked on the dark outline of trees that Osmond vanished between, Shepard pulled out his phone. It took some effort, but he managed to slide his eyes down the screen. He had a new SIM card for his phone in order to prevent any...suspicious mentions of powers or dead giveaways. As such, he only had his father, a few guardian superiors, the married couple who housed him, and the group of boys he hung out with at lunch (Shepard wasn’t sure he could call them friends yet).

Yet the message was from neither.

>New Number: hey :)

Shepard glanced a to the side, checking the area around him for anyone. When no student showed themselves, he took his attention back to the phone, blond brows knitted together.

>Me: who is this?

Near instantly, Shepard got a response.

>New Number: Mia, silly!

That threw him for a loop. There was no way Shepard would ever give her his number willingly. It already sucked he had to deal with her for a few of his passing periods, but now she had his number?

>Me: How did you get my number?

>New Number: haha! i have my ways ;)

>New Number: oh. i wanna invite you to this BIG party my friend is gunna have the fri night. like everyone who is sumone is gunna b there.
>New Number: u should cum <3

It was at that point Shepard made a disgusted face and turned off his phone, feet taking him in some unknown direction. Hopefully towards home. But, his mind was elsewhere. Not only had this girl hunted down his phone number, she had also used it to invite him to a party even though he was going to see her tomorrow. Also, her spelling of ‘come’? What kind of person doesn’t correct themselves immediately with a typo like that?

Why did life outside of River’s Point need to be so complicated? It wasn’t like people stalked others back at home, right? Shepard paused in front of the house he was staying at for a short second. Hopefully not. As far as he knew no one was talking others, finding their phone number and telling him to ‘cum’ to a party.
As he pushed the door open, the blond didn’t hesitate to retreat to his room. Despite Shepard’s better judgement, the first person he went to text about the event was Bently. Who expressed amusement in Mia’s interest.

”What--you don’t like her? She is pretty.” Bently poked fun, barely hiding his laughter which echoed through the speakers of Shepard’s phone.

Shepard couldn’t hide his own amusement. ”Yeah, who wouldn’t like a self absorbed girl? And hunting down my phone number like that? I’m swooning.”

While their conversation was amusing and entertaining, Bently seemed to insist that Shepard went, even going as far as to offer transportation. ”Look, none of our friends have gotten invited. It’s only for the ‘cool’ kids. Too many rumors spread about what happens there, we need first hand experience, man!”

”What? Do they not like video games?”

”Not everyone can be you, Shepard. Cute and a nerd.”

”Really? Because you fit in both of those categories.”

Shepard’s response slipped out of his mouth faster than he had expected. Day two and he had already embarrassed himself to his friend he had made the day before. Especially if he took offense--

Bently was doing his adorable laugh snort again, a series of laughs followed by a sharp inhale of breath, a snort following. That only spurred on the laughter.  Shepard’s cheeks reddened, thanking whatever god that was looking over him that they were really not in person. Because his laughter was something Shepard wouldn’t mind hearing until he died.

”Yeah, sure” He broke off into laughter again and Shepard could almost feel the smile on his face. ”Go text her back and say you will be there.” With a muttered agreeance, Shepard typed a short message to Mia.

>Me: I’ll be there.

>Mia: can’t wait! :)))

The rest of the week was a blur. Rather than focusing on his studies, Shepard did his best to become friends with every person he met, turning on the charm for people who were not easily trusting. Every day he walked the same path as Osmond, hoping beyond hope that he might be willing to talk with him. However, every day his two other friends walked at his side as if guarding him.

It couldn’t be helped. Shepard wanted to be the boy’s friend and convince him to come to Beata. But he had no other choice but to take other methods, such as letters in the boy’s bag, or notes left for him at his house just before he leaves for school. Eventually, Shepard figured he would start delivering the messages. That being said, leaving them immediately would be even more suspicious. The week he arrives and Osmond receives letters? He really would be putting himself in the spotlight.

No, Shepard would bide his time as best as he could. Being a normal student with normal interests.

Normal.

Whatever the hell that was.

He scuffed to himself as he laid out an outfit for the party that night. His fingers typed in Joanna’s number in search for her input, but stopped himself before the send key. His thumb hovered over the button for felt like ages. Inhaling, he copied his text and deleted it, swapping over to Bently.

>Me:For the party--would I be a cool kid in this?
He sent a photo of the outfit that was laid out on his bed, then collapsed into his desk chair waiting for his friend’s response. Just when he thought maybe Bently wasn’t going to respond, he received a message.

>Bently:  No, you need a more douche outfit for that. Video call me so I can see what we have to work with.

The next half an hour was Shepard flipping though his megar closet. After much debate, Shepard had picked out something very similar he saw boys wearing in the school. The blond wrinkled his nose in disgust every time he looked at it, though Bently did his best to reassure him that he would fit right in. Thanking him for his help, Shepard ended the call and reluctantly got dressed. Once he was ready, the blond sent a picture of himself in the mirror to the group chat.

>Bently: You will definitely fit in. LOL

>Niel: o nooooo. u on the golfing team Shepard?

>Truman: We honor a fallen soldier today.

>Dorian: u look fockin stupid.

>Me: Feelin’ stupid.

Shutting off his phone, Shepard turned and left his room and stopped in the kitchen to see his ‘foster mothers’ chatting about their day. Fern blinked at him then brightened considerably.

”You going to the party? And be a normal kid today?” She asked, putting down her glass of water to pick up the keys from the wicker bowl they kept on the kitchen counter. and going to a party? I wonder what your dad would think? He wasn’t much of a partier you know.”

Shepard cracked a smile. ”Yeah, yeah. I got to fit in some how.”

”I’ll drive then! Come on!” She grinned, shooing him out of the kitchen and out into the driveway.
Back to top Go down
Splotch

Splotch

PostSubject: Re: Star Angel [One-shot]   Star Angel [One-shot] EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 11:10 pm

The street was full of cars. They were all parked bumper to bumper, and outgoing traffic was nearly reduced to a single lane. As soon as his ‘foster mom’ drove off, Shepard had a very good feeling that into the night, some neighbor would be unhappy with the noise coming from the house. As Shepard entered the large house, the first thing he heard was the loudest WAMP WAMP WAMP as the floor shook to the beat of the bass in the living room. The couch was pushed to the far wall, and kids danced feverishly to the music.

Empty beer cans littered the ground at the base of a grand staircase where more people hung out at the top. A couple seemed practically attached at the face, pressed against the railing. Shepard was near certain that they were going to fall eventually. A gaggle of girls talked addimately and loudly from the railing. As a girl waved her arms, the beer can slipped from her grasp and fell a story to the floor where it crashed, sending a blot of beer spilling out. It was barely an hour into the party and half of the people there were already shitfaced.

Before Shepard could take a step forward, a hand wrapped around his arm.
”I’m soooo glad you made et Shep~” The bain of his school existance slurred her voice, drunk already. God he wanted to leave already. This was gross, he could smell the beer on her breath. Shepard would really need a drink to get past this night. The blond parted his lips to speak, but she spoke again, voice louder than his. ”All the drinks are in the kitchen, we eeeeven got a keg to do kegstands with!” She grinned up at him, then before he could say another word, she pulled him through the large house toward the beautiful marble kitchen.

Shepard’s anger spiked the next time she interrupted him, when he tried to ask for one of the cold beers from the cooler. ”Jaaaake~ This is Shepard.” She drew out his name like she was talking to a kindergartener. ”We gotta give ‘em the goooood stuff.” Travis raised a brow and looked over Shepard, and he did the same. Shepard noticed the boy had very similar color hair to Mia, his eyes were quite similar to her’s though he didn’t need mascara to get long lashes like she did. Her brother.

”Oh, you are the new kid then.” Travis commented taking a few steps closer to Shepard, then turning and putting a strong hand on Shepard’s shoulder, guiding him into the back yard. ”I’m the linebacker for our football team. You look like you would fit in. Quarterback? Oh, I know. Running back. You definitely look fast.”

Shepard did his best to hide his discomfort with the strong grasp on his shoulder as they passed into the back yard where the music was just as loud, lights illuminating the fence. ”I’d like to think so.” Shepard admitted, looking over the backyard with a curious gaze. It wasn’t too different than the Sofia district back at home. Just--the house backed a forest, and what looked like a creek. ”Never was one for sports though.” He admitted as they maneuvered through the crowd toward a circle of people.

Travis scoffed, hand sliding towards Shepard’s other shoulder to pull him into what felt like a side hug. ”Pfft, nah bro. You will do just fine. You just gotta catch the ball and run. Eazy.” They stopped just outside of the group when Travis cleared his throat. Instantly, the group turned to face them, a heavy blush covering a vast majority of their faces. Drunk. ”Mia said we should give Shepard here some beer.”

Instantly the group began chattering. Most of it is along the lines of ‘new kid’, all of them asking questions at once. However, they cheered as Travis pushed Shepard towards the center of the group. Then, that was where Shepard laid eyes on the keg in front of him. Instantly amused, Shepard threw his head back in a laugh.

”Fine, but you owe me a real beer after, Travis.” Shepard told him, taking a few steps toward the keg. His first thought was that Danae-Alisse would be mad as hell. The second thought was that Joanna would be mad as hell. The last one scared him more than the first. But the other side of his brain reasoned he needed to fit in if he wanted this mission to go well.

Steeling himself, Shepard placed two hands on the rim of the keg, and as two other boys stepped forward to help him stay upright, the blond shook them off. ”I got this, boys.” Instantly the crowd around him ‘ooo’ed and laughed as Shepard threw his legs over his head. For a long moment, his body wobbled, but as soon as Shepard’s mouth touched the tube he found it to be much easier.

Drinking upside down is a challenge. Drinking beer upside down was insanity. Near twice Shepard nearly choked out the beer, but held fast until his stomach was heavy with beer. Shepard came to realize as he let his feet touch the ground--that he drank it too fast to really taste it. Maybe it was the effects of being upside down and trying to focus, but when he stood back up the yelling almost made him flinch.

DUDE HOLY SHIT

“That was so cool!”

“New kid has got balls!”

“Hell yeah!”

His ears buzzed, and he struggled to understand quite what was happening. ”So, about that beer, Travis.” Shepard prompted giving the boy an amused look. He couldn’t quite make out what he was saying but Shepard assumed it was something along the lines of ‘You got it, bud.

Many hands patted him on the back as another poor soul tried to copy Shepard by handstanding on the keg without support. However, the boy collapsed on his face and off the keg. The crowd roared in laughter, Shepard right alongside with them. By the time Travis returned with his beer, Shepard was beginning to feel the effects of his kegstand. Whatever was left in his stomach sat heavy, almost weighing him down in a comforting way. Warm. Though he was usually always warm.

This was different.
Shepard relished in the feeling for a long moment. Yet before long the party came roaring back, and the brave soul who had fallen on his face not too long before was back at it, this time supported by others. Unable to help himself, Shepard cheered along side of them, a big grin plastered on his face.

Time seemed to blur. He met new people. Some he remembered, some people’s name he forgot seconds after being told. Shepard spoke loudly, laughed boisterously. At some point, he was brought to the dance floor which had turned into its own mosh pit. Shepard remembered being sweaty getting out of the room as a sudden hunger clawed at him.

Others seemed to have the same idea. They gathered around the mini sausages, nachos, fried chicken, and nearly everything under the sun that drunk teenages would want to have. Vividly, he remembered how amazing the food tasted. Apparently it was the football players who were with him. They talked of the sheer number of food they ingested to beef up.

However, his memory flickered as Mia attached herself to him, whispering something into his ear. Something about how warm he was. Was she dumb? Of course with his powers he was warm. Every bitch River’s Pointe knew that. What was his response? What did he do? It seemed blank after that. Next Shepard could pick out from his memories was a voice over the speakers yelling something about police.

”Fuckin’ kneeeew it, Travis. Some ass was gunna ruin da fun.” Shepard bemoaned, ignoring the flashing blue and red lights that reflected off of the house’s exterior walls.

By the time a majority of the party realized, kids from inside the house streamed into the back yard, running. Others struggling to climb over the fence. It was only after a police officer was advancing toward him did Shepard react. ”What kinda wanna be guardian are you?” He slurred, dodging a grasp from the officer. ”You need to work on your speed. You’re so slow. No way you are gunna catch meeee.” Ironically Shepard stumbled, catching himself on the lawn chair.

Through the drunken haze, a single thought forced his way to the surface. ’I can’t get caught.’

The sole of his shoe dug into the turf, and the blond took off, passing the others with bewildering speed, cop hard on his heels. With a single hand, Shepard hauled himself over the chain link fence, staggering for a short second. Just enough for the cop to drop onto his back. Instinctively, Shepard pushed up and turned, letting the police take the force of his weight.
A shocked breath escaped the man, and Shepard took that as a green light to fucking book it. Nearly flying over a fallen tree in the path, the blond skidded to a stop to the creek. Well. if it was a creek. It looked more like a river than anything. Letting a stream of curses, Shepard let his eyes travel up a tree that leaned halfway into the river. Grinning, he began his assent in time to avoid the grasp of the police man who yelled something along the lines that he would have to come down some time.

He didn’t respond and instead shimmied along a branch out over the river of water. Further and further until the branch bent under his weight. ”Later, loser.” Shepard taunted, swinging himself into the island in the river, landing, then leaping to shore. The police man decided to try an wade through the heavy current, earning a cheeky smile from Shepard.

From there on was a blur.

But he woke up at home.

His head throbbed like taking a sucker punch to the face from a super charged Stephen. The room spun even while he lay sprawled in the bed. Weary, he lifted his head to see the damage. His clothes were torn up, adorned with slight splotches of red at some rips. He had one sock on, the other off. The jacket he had worn was hanging limply off the corner of his desk, it too was ripped.

Shepard lasted a few moments of his head being up before he felt very sick, saliva filled his mouth, and the blond threw himself out of the bed. His feet gave out under him as he touched the carpet floor, halting any progress towards the toilet.

He wasn’t going to make it.

Desperate, Shepard reached out for the small trash can by his desk, hauling it towards his face. In that same moment whatever was left in his stomach emptied into the trash can. Pausing for a long moment, Shepard brought himself up around the can, vomiting for a second time. Tears speckled the corners of his eyes, biting his lip to keep himself from vomiting again.

Footsteps thundered down the hall, and Claire ducked her head into the room, stepping fully in as she heard him retch. ”Oh, Shepard. How much did you drink last night?”

”Too much.” He whimpered in response, clutching the trash can tightly, unable to look up, her voice causing his head to ring with pain.
”Here, I’ll get you a big bucket, we will set you up in bed with water. Then we will talk about your choices.” With that, she vanished. As the door squeaked shut, Shepard groaned. Mostly because everything hurt. But also because he has had the same conversation before. He hated these conversations.

Soon enough, he was set up with new pajamas, water and a bucket much better suited for taking his vomit. Seated at the side of his bed, Claire ran her fingers through his hair soothingly, not speaking for a while to let him relax. Shepard took that moment to appreciate her dumpling like appearance. If anything she was like an aunt, cupping his face and shaking her head in disapproval. She seemed like a home.

”I know you think you had to play along because you are on a mission, but you also need to think about your own well being. Not to mention all those scratches. How did you get home?”

”...I ran.”

”You ran home? It was a good few mile drive Fawn said.”

Shepard looked away, reaching for the water with tired hands. Before he responded, Shepard took a small sip. ”Someone called the police on the party. Wasn’t too surprising I guess. They were loud and rowdy.” He placed the drink back down. ”I made a name for myself though. I think they will be more willing to tell me things about others now.”

Claire regarded him with warm eyes for a long moment. ”I won’t say anything to your dad. Just don’t make a habit of drinking so much at the parties.” She stood up to walk out of the room, pausing to give him a sharp looks. ”Also, you got lucky getting away from the police. Don’t go bragging about it okay?”

”Right.” Shepard muttered, resting his head on his pillow. Within a few minutes, he passed out. The majority of his day had been spent sleeping off his hangover. Each time he awoke from a restless sleep, he drank, then returned to sleep.

Late into the afternoon was the first time he bothered to check his phone since the night before. As soon as he clicked the power button, a flurry of notifications sped past his eyes. Blinking once, twice, three times he began to scroll through them. Some were from his lunch friends, asking if he was okay as well as asking for him to tell  them about the party, or if he was coming over tonight.
Shepard groaned, sitting up. He had promised he would go over today.

Another notification from numbers and names he didn’t remember adding. A few names he knew, one stood out to him the most was Travis--Mia’s brother.

>Travis: Hey man, just wanted to let you know to be careful. Mia is pissed off.

>Travis: I’ve seen this bullshit before bud. She’s going to get her boyfriend to come after you on Monday.

>Travis: She’s a bitch and has been ranting to her friends all day. Text me when you get up?

Shepard rubbed his temple, frown across his face. Slowly he messaged a response.

>Me: why the hell is she mad at me?

Not waiting until he responded, Shepard moved on to check all the notifications. Mia had sent him texts late in the night about how much of an asshole he was. However, she sent a string of comments that took him a good minute or so to scroll through. Giving another painful sigh, Shepard went back to his and Travis's conversation.

>Me: ur sister is actually insane.

Finally, a good few minutes later he responded.

>Travis: Old news. Do you remember what you said to her last night?

>Me: dude, i remember next to nothing. Wut happened…?

>Travis: She has a habit of hitting on guys and when they don’t reciprocate her...love...she goes off the wall. You are maybe the 4th person she did this to.

>Travis: Basically, she was trying to get you upstairs. Then you said sorry, I don’t put my dick in stupid. Everyone thought it was funny, but she slapped you and stormed away.

>Me: o

>Me: yeh sounds like somethin i would say.

>Me: wait she has a bf but hits on other people?

>Travis: Yeah, the dude won’t take our word that she is hitting on other people. Just takes her word for it, and aims to beat up anyone who pisses her off.

>Me: what you are saying is that im going to get in a fight with ur sister’s bf on monday?

>Travis: Basically.

>Me: nice.

>Travis: I’ll tell you about the etiquette for fighting at our school on Monday.

What kind of school has a fight etiquette? Shepard posed this question to the other group chat of his lunch friends in which they elaborately began to explain what it meant to fight in their school. The person who has been wronged can either challenge someone to fight, or ask someone to fight in their stead. Those who have wronged can either fight or ask someone else to fight. They get another person to try and talk out the problem to try and prevent the fight.

If they can’t, then they fight. The victor wins the argument. Which seemed easy enough to Shepard, until the group pointed out that Mia’s boyfriend Shawn was undefeated, and a linebacker in the school football team. Big, beefy dude. Taller than Shepard by a few inches. ‘Very likely to kick his ass’ the group insisted.

A crooked smile crossed Shepard’s face at their insistence for him to back down. Hell no.

Shepard ended up not going over to hang with his lunch friends in fear of still being sick, but they did talk via text. Often it was them talking about the party, and how cool it would have been to see Shepard do a handstand on his own to drink from the keg.

Last edited by Splotch on Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Splotch

Splotch

PostSubject: Re: Star Angel [One-shot]   Star Angel [One-shot] EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 11:12 pm

Monday came faster than Shepard would have liked. Sunday was spent practicing for a Spanish test that next day. The period came and went, and as Shepard left the room he knew he failed the test worse than he had ever failed anything in his entire life.

And he had failed quite a lot in his life.

Whoever put him in Spanish III deserved hell.

As he turned the corner to head to his next class, he wondered if the grades he got while in Michigan would carry over and effect his GPA back in Beata. Technically, he was still a student at Beata, and was still taking the classes there too. After that test though, Shepard hoped they didn’t carry over.

A hand gripped the back of Shepard’s jacket, pulling him to the side and into the cinder block wall. Before he could react, a fore arm was pressed into his throat, pinning him to the wall.

”Heard you were talking shit about my girlfriend, newbie. Do you know who the fuck I am?” The large teenager was inches from his face, dark eyes borrowing, a near fire of hatred. Shepard knew it as an irrational anger, he couldn’t bother to try and reason with him. After a silence, Shawn increased the pressure at Shepard’s throat, causing the blond to pull his hands up to grasp at the larger teen’s arm. Well?

Shepard opened his mouth to speak, struggling with the task. ”You--” He spluttered for breath, nails digging into the other boy’s arm. ”are a fucking meat head.” Sure enough, his comment spiked hot fury in Shawn’s eyes, bearing his teeth at Shepard.

”Behind the gym, after school. Bring your second.” He gave Shepard one more heated glare then let him go, turning and thundering away. Shepard dropped to his knees, tasting sweet, sweet, air. He hated missions where he couldn’t use his powers, nor just let loose on a few people. Had it been in Beata, the dude would get fucking destroyed.

Another hand gripped Shepard’s shoulder, pulling him to his feet. He lifted his eyes to see Bently looking him over worriedly, his eyes laying on Shepard’s neck which was red from the pressure. ”You are going to need a second, let me come.” Bently insisted, voice shockingly level for such a worried gaze.

Shepard narrowed his eyes, as he rubbed his own throat. ”Are we back in the 1700s?”

”There are days that I think so, Shep.”

Despite being anxious about how he was going to handle the fight, Shepard was fairly excited for the end of the day to come. Normally he would be sparing with other people at Beata, and nearly missed it. That and being able to work with his powers. Not being able to do that made him feel...confined or claustrophobic.

Travis had sought him out just before he reached his last period of the day to try and update him, but was pleasantly surprised when Shepard stated that he was told everything. ”Well, the news about the fight is spreading, Shepard. Expect a crowd.” As Shepard blanched, not excited to fight in front of a crowd, Travis added quickly; ”Hey, if you made it out of the fight alive, bud. Come to the football tryouts Wednesday.” With a pat on the back, Travis broke away into the crowded hallway, leaving Shepard no time to argue about trying out for the football team.

How had the news spread so fast? It happened not even three minutes ago? Suddenly aware of the many eyes on him as they passed in the halls, Shepard booked it into his last class.

At long last the bell rang, and Shepard met Bently by the bike rack, stuffing his fists into his pockets. ”I know it’s bullshit that you have to fight this when you did nothing wrong,” Bently said, pressing a gentle hand on Shepard’s arm. ”But at this point, I’m just here to carry you out if you get beat up. Shawn isn’t going to listen to reason.”

Shepard offered him a large smile. ”I love the vote of confidence, Bently. Really puts a spring in my step.” The other boy smiled bumping shoulders with him as they walked towards the gym. A crowd already forming in the distance.

He and Bently were the last to arrive. Kids of all groups huddle around, talking quickly as he approached. Out of the corner of his eye, Shepard spotted Osmond and his two friends near the back, watching him silently as he passed.  At the front inside the circle stood quite the cast of people. Mia, behind Shawn, then Travis standing not too far away. A smug grin pressed itself onto Shawn’s face as he arrived--sneering almost.

Travis--being the referee as Shepard assumed, turned to the crowd like a ringleader in a circus. ”Ladies and Gentlemen, today the fight is between Mia Tomlinson and Shepard Herman. The place of Mia Tomlinson is taken by Shawn Townsend. Shepard Herman retains his position.” He then turned to the two fighters and nods. ”Send in your seconds.” Bently took a few steps past Shepard, then gave Travis a look of confusion. On Shawn’s side there were no seconds.

”I need no seconds, Travis. There isn’t anything that needs to be discussed.” He stuck his crooked nose in the air--scarred from fights prior.

Travis narrowed his eyes and turned to Shepard. In that instant Shepard knew that all Shawn wanted to do was to beat the hell out of him. Whispers broke out in the crowd, and Bently slowly backed up until he was across from Mia. Her face contorted into a furiosity, makeup unable to hide her ugly nature.

”Fine. Whatever works for the brute.” Shepard told Travis, giving Shawn a heavy side glare. Laughter rose in some places in the crowd, others whispered even more, though the excitement was palpable. As far as they knew, they were about to see Shawn beat up the new kid.

Shepard was determined to not lose.

His eyes shifted over the crowd to find Osmond peering between a duo of redheads, eyes locked on Shepard. In that instant pain exploded from the side of Shepard’s cheek, sending him stumbling back. Apparently, Shawn didn’t wait for Travis to call the start. Tasting blood from cuts in his cheeks, Shepard spat out the blood to his right, and looked up at his opponent with icy eyes.

Then grinned.

Shawn charged up a punch, aimed at Shepard’s head. Reflexively, the blond side stepped, grasping his hand and pulling Shawn farther--unbalancing him. Throwing in an elbow, Shepard landed a hit on his opponent’s temple, though leaving his ribs open to attack. Which Shawn took advantage of, throwing in his other hand to hit Shepard’s chest.

Shepard took that moment to disengage, knowing the hit to his chest was way better than a full blown punch to the ribs. Thundering steps approached with Shawn low to the ground as if he was trying to tackle Shepard. Moving quicker, Shepard pushed off the ground and used Shawn’s shoulder as boost to get over him--like bull leaping. This tactic worked a number of times, until Shawn was quick enough to grasp his ankle and ground him.

Not taking any time to wait, the heavier boy began throwing punches at Shepard’s head, leaving him to try and block, though multiple hits landed. He couldn’t lay here and let himself get hit. But each punch that landed kept him from thinking clearly.

Finally, Shepard managed to prop his legs up, push up with his hips and throwing the much heavier boy off of him. He leaped to his feet in the same time as Shawn did, who attempted another tackle. Gritting his teeth, Shepard allowed himself to use every bit of training from Beata to get this fight over with.

As soon as Shawn was in arm’s distance, the blond smacked both of his ears at the same time, sending him kareening backwards at the sudden dizziness. Following in kind, Shepard punched the diaphragm, leaving Shawn gasping for breath. Threading his fingers through the boy’s hair, Shepard gripped his head and slammed it into his oncoming knee.

There was a long instant where nothing moved, then slowly Shawn sunk to the ground unconscious.

Then the crowd came roaring back, hands on hands patted his back in congratulations, some hugging him, others shouting their amusement with decibels he was shocked he could hear. Shepard did his best to squeeze himself out of the throng, searching for Bently. It took a long minute, but he managed to find his second.

Instantly, he was brought into a hug, Bently burying his head into the crook of Shepard’s neck. ”I was so worried! As soon as Shawn took you down, I had to look away. How did you do that? How did you…?”

Shepard offered him a smile and merely said: ”Practice.” The answer didn’t satisfy Bently, but he pulled away. ”Let’s get out of here, yeah? I can feel my eye swelling.” With that, they retrieved Bently’s bike and the two of them left for his house, talking about not only the fight but also what the rest of the school was going to say the next day.

The following days were met by very little rudeness towards Shepard, as well as many others inviting him to hang out at their tables or offer to help him with homework. While the kindness was nice, Shepard suspected most of it was out of fear. By the time the next week rolled around, the talk of Shawn getting slammed by Shepard had faded into what Shepard assume would be school legend.

One Thursday morning, on the way to class, a freshman hesitantly approached Shepard, who had been talking with Bently and Truman before first period classes. The younger girl wore glasses and hugged a large math notebook to her chest. Her bottom lip quivered.

”Uh--um...Mr...Shepard?” She stammered, shifting her feet. ”I am willing to make a deal with you. I will help you with your math if you help me w-with a bully.” She gave him a determined look from behind her glasses, bravery beyond hope to stand up to him.

Narrowing his eyes, he gave the younger girl his full attention. ”What is your name, and who is bullying you?” He asked, keeping his voice from betraying too much information about his worry for the young freshman.

”My name is Joan Nguyen. His name is Dwayne Young.”

”What is he doing?”

”He has been stealing my homework from me and copying it. When I go to the teachers, they don’t believe me because Dwayne is very smart. Then he keeps making comments about how ugly the glasses make me--and--and…!” Shepard could tell she was getting upset. Knowingly, he put a kind face on and crouched slightly to her level.

”Joan, I promise you. You do not have to do my homework. Just point him out to me and he and I will have a nice chat. Okay?”

The girl blinked, eyes wide. ”R-really?” With his nod, she offered him a big smile. ”This way, he hangs out in the cafeteria in the mornings.” As she lead him, Shepard let himself fall behind so that someone wouldn’t see him right away. As Joan rounded the corner, a nearing voice called out to her.

”Hey Joan the fuggly! Here to give me my homework for the day? Good, because I didn’t bother to try to do math’s.”

As the boy finished his sentence, Shepard stepped around the corner to stand by Joan’s side. ”No, she won’t be giving you her homework. But I’m sure you can afford time before class to have a little chat with me, yes? Good.” He ducked his head so only Joan could hear. ”You can run off to class. I don’t think he will bother you after this.” The young girl pushed up her glasses and gave him a grateful look, speeding off towards her class.

As soon as Shepard strode forward, the rest of Dwayne’s possy scurried away like rats, leaving him alone with Shepard. ”I’m sure you have heard of academic integrity, haven’t you?” Dwayne’s hair bounced with every fearful nod. ”Great. Then you know how much of an asshole you are. And man, do I hate people like you. Now, I will ask you to do something once--nicely. Then we will have words. Clear?” More feverish nodding.

"Do not ever behave like that again. Do not steal from others. Do not cause them undue harm. Don’t. Be. A. Dick." Fearful eyes met his as Shepard stood over the boy.. ”If I hear that you are causing problems, I’m sure you and I could settle it behind the gym. Clear? Good. Now get out of my sight.” The boy turned to run away, but Shepard caught his hand. ”Also, don’t ever call Joan anything like that ever again. Lest you want kids in the future.” With the release of his hand, the boy vanished into a nearby hallway.

Satisfied with his intimidation, Shepard strolled into first hour late. He didn’t mind the yelling from his English teacher. What was one tarty anyways?

Little did he know, Shepard became the go-to man for any and all bullying issues.

In fact, the following week, Shepard had solved more issues in this high school than he had in Beata. Rather than being feared after the fight with Shawn, he began to be respected. Even when he turned down a position on the football team.

His reasoning was that if he was only going to be here for a short period of time, then Shepard didn’t want to take any position on the football team. Especially since Shawn was still a member of it. Wouldn't make for good teamwork.

However, despite all of Shepard’s work for other people and his gaining popularity, he still tried to push to understand Osmond. Most kids didn’t know much. But some tried to guess that he was abused at home. Even in the summer, he wore long-sleeved clothes, and sometimes came to school with bruised hands and sometimes face.

Apparently, even the school has tried stepping in, but the excuse fell solely on Osmond being ‘clumsy’ and ‘roughhousing’ with friends. Child Protective Services had even visited his home, but nothing had come from it. Shepard shared his worry with Bently on their nightly calls. He had agreed that it was worrying, then asked if Shepard wanted to do anything about it. After some consideration, Shepard agreed to let Bently help him out.

Though it would mean Shepard would have to go without using his powers every time Bently was with him. He knew he couldn’t afford to expose any knowledge of gifts to him, even if Shepard trusted Bently. A life outside of Beata was a dishonest one as a gifted.

The letters placed at Osmond’s house have had no response. Though, each week when he placed a new letter at the door, Osmond received a new bruise or a new limp. Shepard had hoped it was coincidence, but after three times, he couldn’t excuse it.

He had to get Osmond out of there.
Back to top Go down
Splotch

Splotch

PostSubject: Re: Star Angel [One-shot]   Star Angel [One-shot] EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 11:14 pm

The day Shepard had opted to go was a Thursday afternoon, excusing himself out of school thirty minutes early for a ‘doctor’s appointment’. He hadn’t told Bently about his excursion in the extreme case he had to use his powers.

It poured rain. Thunder cracked in the sky and a strong breeze tilted the trees. Though, Shepard wouldn’t be bothered to stop. He struggled against the wind, anger towards Osmond’s parent driving every step towards the house hidden in the many neighborhoods. The path to the house was muddied, and the large rain did little to help Shepard.

As his labored steps approached the house, the front door opened to reveal a middle aged man. Worry wrinkles lined his head, deep creases between his brows.

”You. You are the one who has been leaving the letters. To take my son away from me. For what? The man shouted over the thunder, taking angry steps towards Shepard, ignoring the puddle that soaked the man’s shoes. ”To teach him how to use his abilities? BAH. I am all he needs. I am the only thing he needs.”

Shepard narrowed his eyes, taking up a defensive position. ”What he needs, is a father who does not hurt him. What he needs, is a place to find himself. Away from you hands flying at him every time he makes a mistake, not even then.”

A deep, dark chuckle escaped the man’s mouth. ”You are just like my wife. Always thinking that it isn’t okay to show a kid who is the boss. “ The man shakes his bearded face at him. ”No, you will be just like her too. DEAD

An invisible force threw Shepard against the tree behind him. With a crack, his head throbbed in protest. Suddenly, he was thrown up, sliding along the rough bark of the tree, branches cut into his back, tearing into his back with a sicking rippp.

A cry of agony left Shepard’s lips, nearly drowned out by the thunder in the distance. Just as fast as he rose, Shepard fell faster. Wind whistled in his ears, spots dancing across his vision he only caught sight of Bently in the far bushes before he hit the ground, consciousness fading.

Shepard awoke to rain on his face, and fire down his back. He couldn’t move. Arms held him close, and multiple voices spoke, but he couldn’t make out what they were saying. With a herculean effort, Shepard parted his eyes to look up. His head was in a lap, laying a his side, while the voices behind him became clearer.

”I can heal him.” Came a low voice, which sounded familiar, though in his dazed state, Shepard couldn’t place it.

”Bull shit. Why should I let you near him? And you--! Have you come here to finish your father’s job?” Bently. Shepard could have cried with relief. Osmond’s father hadn’t noticed him in the bushes.

”No! I’m not.” A voice Shepard knew as Osmond’s insisted, taking a step forward into mud which made a gross squish in response. He must have been close because Bently pulled Shepard closer away, sparking a cascade of pain down his back, unable to keep himself quiet, the blond let out a gasp of agony.

”Shepard! I’m sorry! You are awake, thank goodness.” Bently ducked down towards his head, worried eyes taking in his face. ”Osmond, Jack and Eden are here. Jack says he can heal you, but I don’t know how…”

It suddenly clicked for Shepard. In a croaky voice he managed to say; ”Let him.”

Large footsteps resounded as the larger teen ducked down, placing a hand on Shepard’s exposed skin. His shirt had been ripped apart from the tree, leaving mere ribbons in its wake. The hand touched his side. Energy rippled through Shepard, and the skin and tendons on his back threaded themselves together. Once or twice his back arched as a nerve reconnected, and skin grew over. A minute later, Shepard stood on his feet to face the three friends, Bently still on the ground, spell bound by what had just happened.

”H-how?” Bently managed, wide eyes staring up at Jack, who looked sheepishly away, pulling his pants up from crouching down.

Shepard didn’t try to answer Bently’s question. He never had to lie about his powers before, nor hide them from those he was close to. But if Jack outed himself to Bently, there would need to be explaining. ”Thank you, Jack.” Shepard smiled, ”Not sure if I would have been able to walk without that.”

Jack, humbled once again, shoved his hands into his pockets, looking elsewhere. ”Welcome.”

Blue eyes turned to Osmond. ”We need to talk. I don’t assume you trust me enough to go to my house. No one will bother us there though.” He casted a glance toward the pathway not a few feet away. Osmond regarded him with careful eyes, then nodded. Visibly relaxing, Shepard ducked to help Bently up.

At this point, the five of them were soaked from head to toe, Shepard being the most muddied. They shook from the cold, ready to head into a safe warm place. Taking the lead, Shepard held a shivering Bently close, letting his power seep in warmth toward his friend. Thankfully soothing his shivers.

It took a good few minutes to arrive at the house Shepard was staying at, and neither of his ‘foster parents’ were home. As soon as they were inside, Shepard gave them towels, whatever pairs of clothes they could fit into, or throwing what they wore into the dryer. As soon as they were seated at the table, Shepard began making tea, pouring water into the metal kettle, and heating it up with his hands.

Bently’s brows raised as the kettle screamed from pressure an instant after cool water had been placed inside. However, he did not say anything as Shepard gave each of them a cup with warm water and tea bag inside.

Osmond didn’t touch his. Eden sipped once, then held it in her hands for a while. Jack regarded his carefully, but took two large swigs, and regretfully burnt his tongue. Bently only held his close to his chest, ducking his nose under Shepard’s shirt he borrowed.

They sat in silence for a long time. Osmond’s eyes never left Shepard. They held each other's gaze for a long period of time, before Shepard spoke with a even voice. ”All three of you are gifted. Correct?” Stiffly, Jack and Eden nodded, leaving only Osmond to continue to stare into his eyes, as if he stared any longer he would see into Shepard’s soul.

Bently sat forward, placing his tea in front of him. ”What does gifted mean? Like superheros? You have powers? How is that even possible?” He demanded, eyes staring pleadingly at Shepard. ”Why didn’t you tell me?” Bently’s voice was soft, on the verge of tears.

Shepard bit his lip, breaking eye contact with Osmond. ”Gifteds are people with abilities beyond the natural human form.” He explained slowly, his eyes landing on Bently, then toward Jack as he gestured toward him. ”Jack’s abilities have healing properties, though I do not know the correct name for his power.” Shepard rubbed the lip of his tea cup.

”But you?” Bently pushed, brows knit together.

”I am gifted too.” Shepard admitted, not missing the raised brows of shock on the other teens’ faces. ”And I grew up in a community of gifted individuals. I go to a high school for those with gifts called ‘Beata Academy’.” He pushed his tea cup into the center of the table unable to stomach much more of it. ”After failed missives to your home, Osmond, I was sent to make sure you were in no trouble, and were simply not responding because you were not interested. However, as I know now that isn’t the case.”

Osmond didn’t say much, only threading his fingers together to look down at Shepard, who continued. ”I did not share my information with you, Bently, as the information of the existence of gifteds are a closely guarded secret. If I needlessly shared this with you…” Shepard’s professional tone faded as he thought of the consequences. ”Your memories would be removed of me, or if you refused to cooperate, others will hunt you down, and kill you. I didn’t want to force this choice on you.”

Shepard looked down at the table, a frown on his face. ”I wanted you to keep the memory of me.” He paused, and shook his head. ”Maybe that was selfish.” Shepard admitted, running a hand through his blond hair.

Bently didn’t respond, only burying his nose further into Shepard’s borrowed shirt.

Finally Eden spoke up. ”When you first came here, you only knew about Ozzie and his powers.” At Shepard’s nod, she frowned and turned to Osmond. ”What do you think, Ozzie?”

The quiet teen broke his silence at his friend’s prompting. ”Prove that you have powers.” He demanded, eyes betraying his distrust. Nodding, Shepard held a hand out. With a flash of orange light a small orb appeared in his hand. Bright as a flame, but as hot as a bonfire. Bently leaned away from the heat, eyes wide in shock.

”It is dubbed Stellar Manipulation, and has a few applications.” Shepard explained, closing his fist around the ball, extinguishing the light.

Osmond spoke again, spouting questions upon questions about Shepard,  about Beata, about his mission there. About everything. For another hour just the two of them spoke, Shepard answering every question. Once the questions were exhausted, Shepard leaned back,  rubbing his eyes.

”Now what?” Eden prompted, having warmed up to the idea of Beata, after listening to Shepard’s stories and explanations. ”Can we go?” Shepard faltered, knowing he only had two tickets back to North Dakota. He’d have to call his dad.

”If you are in good standing with your parents, please talk to them first.” Shepard insisted, looking worriedly at her and Jack. ”I’d rather have your families be on board. As will the application process of Beata.” He ducked into his mud soaked back pack and pulled out two drenched letters Shepard had intended on giving Osmond at some point. Handing it to the two unexpected gifteds, they began to read, Osmond speaking only once they were done.

”I don’t want to go back to my house.” The boy’s voice was dead, and cold, face fit into one of impassiveness.

”You don’t have to, I promise. My uh--” He paused, thinking about the term he wanted to call them.

”Fake foster parents?” Offered Bently through a sip.

Shepard did his best to stifle a laugh. ”Yeah, that would work. They won’t mind you staying here, Osmond. Especially after everything you have been through.”

The boy nodded, and for the first time, Shepard was sure he saw clear emotion of awkwardness on Osmond’s face. ”I will only go if you get one thing from that house. I have a photo of my mother and I hidden between the bedframe and the mattress of my bed. If I had one thing from home--that is what I would want.”

Shepard met Osmond’s eyes then stood up ”Then I will get it for you.” Eden stood up after him.

”Me too.”

”Same.”

Nodding at the other two gifted, Shepard turned to get ready to leave, but was stopped by another voice.

”I’m coming too.”

Alarmed, Shepard turned to face Bently. ”No way. You won’t be able to anything against him. You won’t be safe. I won’t let you come.” The blond insisted, backing up as Bently slipped out of the chair, standing up at his full height.

”I’d like to see you stop me, Shepard Herman.” The determination and conviction took Shepard aback. ”I may not be gifted like any of you, but I still have my value. And God damn it if I don’t do anything to help.” The blond opened his mouth to argue, but closed it after looking over Bently’s face.

”Okay.” He said finally, shoulders slumping. ”But if I tell you to run, you have to run. Okay?”

Bently narrowed his eyes, but nodded. Sighing deeply, Shepard prepared himself and the others with warm clothes, before offering umbrellas to the others. With a swift goodbye, Shepard lead the way back to Osmond’s house deep into the wooded area. He knew it would be a fight, but Shepard couldn’t have taken any weapons on the mission with him. They were fighting with their powers, and Bently’s fists.

During the walk, Shepard inquired about Eden’s powers, in which she dubed as ‘multiplication’ She can multiply an object for a certain period of time. The blond raised a brow, thinking to himself about the various applications the power could manifest in.

As they got close, Shepard instructed them in a few basic strategies, and while he wasn’t  sure if they would stick, the Beata prefect sure hoped it worked out. With two gifteds who didn’t know how to fight, and blank who insisted on coming, Shepard almost felt like he was babysitting.

They approached the house from behind, having ditched their umbrellas in the park a good half a mile away. Osmond’s bedroom window was set to the back, second one from the left. The dark brick one story building with a low pitched black roof looks eerie and lifeless. Death swallowed this place whole.

Ducking under the windows, Shepard counted the second in, and began to open the window, unlocking it with his power from the inside, turning the lever until it made a soft click. Nodding and motioning for the others to stay on the lookout outside, Shepard slipped it open with no sound. Bently held it open, incase it decided to fall down.

Shepard first noticed the room was bare of any personality. It had an iron bed frame and black sheets. On what looked like to be a ratty mattress. A desk that leaned precariously to the left, and a small digital alarm clock on it. Not wasting any time, Shepard lifted the mattress in search of the photo. It wasn’t there.

Had Osmond set him up? Shepard looked at the other side of the bed. No, he couldn’t have sent his friends to their death just to set Shepard up to fight his father. No--the photo wasn’t there. Which meant…!

For the second time that day, an invisible force clamped Shepard’s legs and arms together. The spring mattress fell back onto the frame with a sharp twang. A disgusting voice rang in his ears once more. ”Looking for this?” The man stood at the door, hold up a worn brass picture frame of a woman holding a small toddler, both smiling. ”You are a resilient fucker aren’t you? Not dying when I told you to?” The man’s ugly laugh filled the air. ”How dare you disobey me?”

Shepard was sent crashing through the window and into the lawn, shards lacing his arms. Grunting as he fell back, Shepard found himself able to move, leaping to his feet as the man floated his way leisurely into the back yard. This time, knowing he could use his powers, Shepard grew a multitude of stars above himself, sending them raining towards the man. The lights ending abruptly as they made contact with the brick walls, leaving sizeable dents and soarch marks.

Those that would have hit the man were stopped in mid air. It took all of Shepard’s energy to keep the bulbs from heading in his own direction. Forcing them to fade, Shepard rushed forward to try to get into close range with the man. With just a sweep of his arm, the blond was thrown across the lawn, skidding to a stop inches from a shed.

A hand touched his bare arm. ”I cannot do this very much, Shepard. You must get back up.” A grin crossed Shepard’s face as he leaped back onto his feat. The others had found shelter, and the man didn’t know they were there. But how could he get into close range if all his attention was on him?

With a widened grin, Shepard broke into another spring toward the man. ”You kids never learn. This is why you need to be taught a lesson again, and again, and AGAIN.” With another swipe of his hand, Shepard was sent to the other side of the lawn where Bently was pressed against the side of the house. Rocks and sticks dug into Shepard’s side, but he ignored the agony to tell Bently his plan.

There was a look of hesitation in his eyes. Manageing another breath, Shepard looked at him with confidence. ”I trust you, Bently. I should have told you sooner, I’m sorry. But I need you to remember the confidence you had in yourself back in the kitchen. I need that Bently. I know you can do it.”

A slight nod was all Shepard needed to stand back up, turning again towards the man. ”Sorry, kids like me never give up. So an old geezer like you probably should before I have to put you in a nursing home.” He taunted, and much to his satisfaction, earned a roar of rage.

In a very familiar pattern, Shepard was thrown into the sky, higher and higher until Shepard’s back hit the clouds. ”Come on Bently! You got this!” He cried to the sky,  thunder erupting around him as the hair on the back of Shepard’s neck rose. Slowly, he began to descend. Then faster, and faster. The binding force on Shepard remained as he sped past falling rain. If he tried to use wings now, they would only be binded under the invisible force.

Faster still.

The house was getting closer, the size of his pinky nail.

Closer.

Closer.

Shepard narrowed his eyes against the stinging rain and wind, praying, hoping that Bently would manage…

The weight lifted, and instantly a pair of golden wings sprouted from Shepard’s back  catching his fall with a jerk of his back. As his vision cleared, Osmond’s father lay sprawled on his back, Bently to his left, and Jack and Eden to his left. As Shepard landed, the three of them watched in awe.

”An angel.” Bently breathed, watching the golden wings fold behind Shepard then vanish in a tinkle of light.

”No,” Shepard objected with a wave of his hand. ”That’s my dad.”  Ignoring the confused looks, he stood next to the man. ”So how did you guys go about it?” He asked, blinking away water that had slid down the side of his head.

Bently seemed to get out of his stupor. ”I did what you did to Shawn. Ya’ know! Slap the ears, punch between the ribs and knee him in the face! Then they,” He gestured to the friends who picked up the picture Osmond couldn’t live without. ”knocked him out. Jack said he drew the energy out of him or something, yeah?” The large teen nodded, fixing Shepard with a smile.

Returning the smile, Shepard pulled out his phone and shot a message off. ”Someone will be here to collect him. Let’s go.”

By the time they arrived back home, the sun had set, and the dark storm clouds raged on. Shepard, considered himself very lucky he didn’t get struck, though had a feeling his sisters had something to do with the lack of electrocution. They always helped when it was something to be avoided. Very likely, with the gun man getting shot in front of him. Had the sniper been off by a few centimeters, Shepard would have died too.

He pondered this as they walked back, though Bently was spending the entire time raving about their achievements.

The next hour back at the house was a flurry of Shepard getting the two new gifteds tickets back to Beata, as well as updating them on Osmond’s father, and the development of Bently knowing about his powers. No matter how hard he insisted that Bently was trustworthy, and it wasn’t worth messing with his memories, they told him that they would be by the day after they leave to correct everything.

The call ended, and Shepard returned to the kitchen very somber. From the entryway, he saw the others talking. Osmond even contributing to a conversation. His usual stiff shoulders slouched forward, at home.

Bently’s signature laugh echoed through the kitchen, forcing Shepard to turn away lest he wanted tears to betray him. No. He couldn’t tell Bently they would clear his mind, or that he didn’t know if he would even remember him after. Composing himself, Shepard returned with news of their departure the next day. Eden and Jack left to pack their things. Leaving the kitchen to Osmond, Bently and Shepard, though Osmond excused himself to another guest bedroom.

To occupy his hands to keep his mind away from the departure, Shepard began cleaning the tea mugs. Without saying a word, Bently rested his head on Shepard’s as they made their way through the dishes.

His heart broke even more.

The cars were packed. They had to take two with not only Shepard and Osmond, but also Jack and Eden. Bently made an appearance, stating that he wanted to see them off to the greyhound bus.

Shepard wasn’t sure if he had ever said ‘yes’ to something faster. Any time left with him was good enough for Shepard. The car ride there, Shepard held his hand in the back seat, watching Bently stare out at the sky, light and blue. A few puffy clouds speckled the sky, like crumbs compared to the monster of a storm the day before.

All too soon they arrived.

All too soon Shepard had to say goodbye.

Claire and Fawn hugged him close, and told him that if he ever returned to Michigan, they would have a warm bed and food waiting for him when he returned.

Bently stood at his side as the others began to board. Shepard not ready to leave, and Bently not ready to see him go. As the last of the line began to enter, Bently turned to Shepard. ”I know they will erase memories, Shepard. I don’t know how much they will do. But--” Shepard’s eyes widened, then sombered, unable to find words in his throat to speak. ”There is one thing I want to do before you go. Something--maybe hope beyond hope that I would remember when tomorrow arrives.”
With the tilt of Shepard’s confused head, the boy pulled him close gently laying his lips on Shepard’s. At the realization, Shepard smiled into the kiss, closing his eyes and letting them linger for a long moment.

Sooner than Shepard hoped, Bently stepped back. A healthy blush adorned his freckled cheeks, and the laughter that Shepard adored so very much echoed in a final goodbye.

”See you around, Star angel.”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Star Angel [One-shot]   Star Angel [One-shot] Empty

Back to top Go down

Star Angel [One-shot]
Page 1 of 1