Beata Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to Beata! Come chat with us on Discord.
The in-game year is 2054.
Join us at the Winter Formal!
The city is seeing a sharp spike in violent crime. It's not safe to walk alone.

A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Shadras

Shadras

A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open) Empty
PostSubject: A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open)   A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open) EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 9:25 pm

Durran paced outside the office, framing his words. Usually, he hadn't felt the need to do so, but in this case, they would be needed. He had been told to wait until the headmaster could see him. Not too long they assured him and, for truth, the young man had only arrived a minute ago. He hadn't been bothered to find out if the Headmaster was out or simply filling out some bit of paperwork. Not that the Headmaster's business was any of Durran's business, but it didn't stop him from being curious. In fact, the young man had only talked the headmaster once before. At the Christmas party.

And that's half a tale on its own, he thought as it was also the time when he had discovered that being eighteen meant that others felt the need to make sure he went to school and was well and watched. Not to mention it was also when he shared, or attempted to share, the last of his medovukha. A drink that he was, apparently, not supposed to share with people called, 'minors.' Or for him to have in the first place. Despite the fact that he made sure that all parties involved would only get such a tiny amount that even the smallest of them wouldn't get woozy. Truly enough to just give everyone a good taste of it. Hopefully that didn't set him back in the headmaster's eyes much. After all, if sharing drinks with new friends could cause such a stir, Durran could only imagine what wanting to build a house would cause.
Back to top Go down
Splotch

Splotch

PostSubject: Re: A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open)   A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open) EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 4:06 pm

Leo had been on a phone call with a group of guardians tasked with looking into what leads they had from the shooter's apartment--nothing more has been discovered. What could they have missed? Though remembering the note of someone's arrival at the door, Leo pulled himself up from his chair. A click and the door opened to reveal Durran pacing just outside of the threshold of the door. The blond offered an amused smile at the boy. "Durran, how are you? Come on in."

He had first met him in the Christmas party, vouched by Devin. Remembering the event, Leo backed up to let him in, then turning back to his seat. With a click, Leo minimized all the tabs on his computer and turned to look at Durran. "How can I help you today?"
Back to top Go down
Shadras

Shadras

PostSubject: Re: A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open)   A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open) EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 6:55 pm

Durran grinned as he entered and remained standing. Not one to beat around the bush, he began. Which, of course, while it meant that Durran would start off at the point, he would take quite awhile in saying it. "Well, sir, see, I would like permission ta collect some timber from ye forest. Or from outside the city, makes no difference ta me either way. So some timber ta build a house. A cabin ta be precise. Though, I imagine stone would work just as well, might be a bit better ta think of it. Anyway, I'd like to build it off in Ceres Forest, see. Cause I don't really use the dorms anyway an' it'd free up a room. And a key too. Plus, I've been, uh, livin' in there already. Not that there's much wrong with 'em! The rooms here are rather nice, but, well, they don't fit me much. And I wouldn't be doing nothin' elicit out there. Not me specialty to make drinks, so to say. Again, sir, dreadfully sorry about the mix up at yer lovely party. Thought that all parties were allowed to have a sip. Not that it wouldn't have been more than a sip, sir."

Deciding it was best to leave the topic of the party, Durran continued his coherent babble, "So, sir, it would best for me to be able ta build meself a little cabin out there. Plenty of room to make good use of the forest and live with it, so ta speak. Get ta know the beasts out there. Plus, plenty of room for me ta work on my powers with a good big ol' campfire. Rather than the simple candles that I'm allowed ta use. Be more of use ta ye, sir. See, I was further wonderin' if ye would want any vision that was important to ya. Seems to be how I'll best fit. Still be attendin' school! Not goin' ta shirk that duty. Though, someone aught to explain what do I, in particular, have need for algebra. I mean, seems there's plenty of uses for it for, well, others, but not for how I'm plannin' ta live nor where I'll be livin' so to speak sir. Anyway, I'd like to move fully out into the woods and be of more use with my power. Should also be informed as to what exactly I should share with what I see. I mean, obvious things like someone dyin' should be shared. Clear as day that, but a few fellow brawling at a bar might just be a simple misunderstandin'."
Back to top Go down
Splotch

Splotch

PostSubject: Re: A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open)   A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 4:26 pm

Leo opened his mouth to tell the young man to slow down, but could never find the moment to break in as Durran continued on and on. Honestly, the headmaster was not too put off by the drink mix up. Accidents happen and Durran seemed very kind an apologetic about the entire thing. Leo wasn't about to deny him something just because of what happened. As soon as Durran finished, the blond man spoke. "I do not mind about what happened at the holiday party. However, are you certain you can build it? Do you need any help with tools?" Leo frowned and looked back at his computer.

"I can promise you building permits, and some modern supplies if you would need them. However, people from the city will come in to check up on the cabin to outfit it to be up to code." The man spoke as he typed, sending a memo over to Sam, who was in charge with the city duties. "But, yes. Any help with the men with blank masks would be good. Espcially those even if there is no one dying." Blue eyes looked back at Durran with an unreadable expression.
Back to top Go down
Shadras

Shadras

PostSubject: Re: A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open)   A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open) EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 10:30 pm

Durran lit up like a candle as the headmaster gave his permission to build his house. "Oh no, sir," he beamed, "no help needed. Though, I wouldn't say no to some people interested in gettin' their hands dirty. But I sure won't be needing any of those supplies. Whole point is to gather what I need without any of that. Then build it, without any of that. Build it from what I make, with my own to hands, so to speak. Again, more than happy if some people want ta help build, but they'll be building the way I intend ta."

However, as the topic shifted to the use of his power, Durran would suddenly turn serious. The change was drastic to anyone who didn't know him. His energy, often so free in his speech, suddenly turned inward. Calm, almost grim. Alert, but not quite tense. Together with his furs, it made Durran appear to be some predator on the prowl, probing out the prey. Although, the prey was certainly not the headmaster, but to what he spoke of. "Oh aye, sir," he calmly stated, "I kin tell ya whenever such a dream appears. But I'll also be wantin' ta know what ye know about who and what they are. Not proper runnin' around in a mask all the time. Folk should be friendly and open. So, who are they?"
Back to top Go down
Splotch

Splotch

PostSubject: Re: A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open)   A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open) EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 11:20 am

Leo's fingers threaded themselves together, neatly folding his hands on top of his desk. "We know very little of who they are. Mostly non-gifteds or gifteds who hate their powers." He said, eyes not leaving Durran's face. "They are essentially a hate group against people with gifts. Though we cannot tell who exactly they are. The only person we know is the man who had tried to kill me late last year." Shockingly enough, the headmaster didn't seem too put off by that fact. "But he had no friends or family." Leo explained, his hands unthreading and running one through his hair. "We don't know who exactly they are, but we know what they want." He finished, not going into too much detail of the investigation.
Back to top Go down
Shadras

Shadras

PostSubject: Re: A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open)   A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open) EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 9:55 pm

“Interesting,” he replied, “what, precisely do you know they want?” Durran had no intention of being left in any form of dark, regardless of what they thought of him. Being the friendly, giving fellow, Durran had already built up a small reputation with the poor and homeless of the town. He’d fill in whatever gaps he could through them, but it was far easier and, certainly, much better to just get the information directly from the headmaster. Less going around people’s back that way and allowed him to not worry about crossing lines. But nor was he above going over the headmaster’s head and conducting his own investigation. After all, he needed to know exactly what to look for and vague descriptions of ‘blank masks’ was not very conducive deciphering visions in flickering fire. After all, what if I get visions of their ‘Halloween’ affair of a festival. Strange event where some dress as a few back in the good old North past the Northpole, while others dress up and claim they’re a cat. Strange and stranger these people are.
Back to top Go down
Splotch

Splotch

PostSubject: Re: A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open)   A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open) EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 7:58 pm

"They want something we can't give them." Leo lowered his eyes. "They want to take the lives of every gifted person." The headmaster leaned back, running his hands through blond spikes. Leo supposed it was the burden of every headmaster always some sort of threat looming over the school. Poor Nate had to deal with Argona and her goons for the better part of five or so years. "So,if you end up seeing anything regarding those people, please let me know right away."
Back to top Go down
Shadras

Shadras

PostSubject: Re: A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open)   A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open) EmptySat Mar 30, 2019 10:03 am

Durran laughed. Full of good-nature. “Well, you will be sure to hear anything if I find anything to share. Yet, yer answer lacks a certain finesse to be precise. Now, I can’t blame ye for not placing yer whole trust in some stranger who walked his way into this land from the wilderness with nothin’ more than my words and pictures that say I’ve had visions of the place. But in that same vein, I can neither freely give as much as I possibly could without that trust. So, be full with me and tell me what  they seek beyond the death of us all. Which hardly sounds like a reasonable objective, let alone it being indecent but just plain impossible. People like us will always find some way to exist upon our world. Perhaps start with why they are seeking such a pretty trinket of the crown. What lies in it that they desire it so? And if so desired, why is it used in the frivolity of an event with little spiritual purpose? But, if ye can’t tell me these things, tell me at the least how I can earn yer trust.”
Back to top Go down
Splotch

Splotch

PostSubject: Re: A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open)   A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open) EmptySun Mar 31, 2019 10:21 pm

Leo sighed, running his hands over his face. "I apologise. I have a habit of not sharing the details with students. If I did, they would take matters into their own hands. Which is not why they go here. I worry they may try to hunt those people on their own." He explained, leaning forward to give Durran a level gaze.

"Hated does things to people that seem unreasonable to the normal mind. To these people, the idea that we are monsters is implanted into their mind. That we for some reason are the cause of their suffering. It is gifted humans as a whole who leave the world tainted with evil. They wish to remove that evil one way or another." Leo searched Durran's gaze before continuing slowly. "The crown is not what they want exactly, but the gem embedded within it. It is more a key than a gem. Many others like it exist throughout River's Pointe, hidden, or hidden in plain sight. The brooch currently belonging to Keir Lupo as the champion of the arena is one of such. Others are heirlooms belonging to original protectors of Beata. All of them together..." The headmaster pursed his lips, and his brows dropped as if in deep thought.

"They would unlock a portal to what we know as islands. Monsters and other creatures of wild proportions exist there, but one monster exists there that if she was released would spell the end for everyone alive. We know her as Argona, the woman we fought fifteen years ago was sealed within one of the portals to an island though great sacrifice." Leo let himself relax, being as upfront and honest with Durran as he could. "We don't know why they want the gems to her portal. Especially if they are against any gifted person. However, having all the keystones together in one place is dangerous. Her followers exist within our ranks now. If she were to come back..."

The headmaster shook his head. "I'm sorry. I suppose I got off track. I don't know all the answers to your questions, Durran. Most are a mystery even to me. The extent of what we know now is frustrating to say the least."
Back to top Go down
Shadras

Shadras

PostSubject: Re: A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open)   A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open) EmptyTue Apr 09, 2019 12:01 am

“Ha! If we leave the world tainted, then what do yer slicks of oil leave eh?” Durran laughed before flipping back to being serious, “but ye have no need to worry about me galivanting out after these fellows. I know my measure and tis not enough to lead some grand assault all by my lonesome. Perhaps scent them out, we shall see, but far from actually knowing how it will play out. But, ah, talk of distant lands that one can’t easily reach makes me dream of home. So far away. I imagine ye might find it strange as yer vague words make me wonder if it tis anything akin to home. Still, tis nice to know that there is a point to the crowns beyond wearing them at school events. Though, still can’t figure why they need to wear em. But why not simply destroy the jewels if ye don’t want people opening the gateway?”

He’d hum and haw over the information that there was apparently some being who had to be sealed behind such a barrier, then decide that he’d just have to read up on it and not bother the headmaster with asking for a whole history. Not yet at least. But he had the gut feeling that understanding all of the past would help him track down the problems of the present.
Back to top Go down
Splotch

Splotch

PostSubject: Re: A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open)   A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open) EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 7:55 pm

Leo waved his hand into a thoughtfully. "Look at it like this, we don't know a whole lot about the gems. While we made them, they have unknown properties. Very likely, if we break them--" Leo opened his hand like something exploding. "It could very well open what we had made them to keep 'em closed."

Leo looked up at the ceiling. "Yeah, the thought of home does seem forever away. But--" The blond sent a glance towards the family portrait by his computer, RJ freshly added. A toothy smile, showing off a missing tooth. Leo seemed lost in the picture of the kids for a long moment. "but my definition of home changes. As it does for many people." Warm blue eyes landed on Durran. "I hope you find your home in the house you build."
Back to top Go down
Shadras

Shadras

PostSubject: Re: A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open)   A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open) EmptySun Apr 21, 2019 2:21 pm

“Strange and stranger still. How long have ye had these gems? Shame we be far away from me home. I have a good ol’ friend who may be able to help. Though, I ‘spect that ye have yer own people ta look at them to try an' figure em out. Or maybe they be just unknowable and me friend would be as useless as rotted wood on the matter.” He laughed at the thought. “Ah well, no point in longing for the fresh pine ye’ll not see. Not yet at least. For I agree, what and where home is changes over time. What’s the sayin’? Home is where the heart is? Tis a true one. A house is just a buildin’. But, if yer heart is in the house, then it is a home. Sad to say, not much here is a home yet. A wonderful city here to be sure, but, not too homelike. Not yet, at least. Still, may change.”

He leaned back and sighed. And a change came over him for a short time. Older, he seemed. As if many thoughts and secrets weighed his mind, despite having arrived less than half a year ago as the shadows of the lighting danced deeply across his sharp face and short beard. “Though, I do know this. One day, one way or another. I will be heading home. Back north and across the ice, so to speak. When? Can’t say. How? Good question. I’ve seen it, just as I saw me coming here. Don’t know when. Don’t know if I’m alone or not. Ha! Don’t even know if I’m dead or not! But it will happen.

Suddenly he righted himself, grin back in place and the now familiar twinkle in his eye. “Well, sir, is there anything else ye’d like ta discuss, or shall I get started?”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open)   A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open) Empty

Back to top Go down

A man's house is built with words and his own two hands. (Open)
Page 1 of 1