Beata Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to Beata! Come chat with us on Discord.
The in-game year is 2054.
Join us at the Winter Formal!
The city is seeing a sharp spike in violent crime. It's not safe to walk alone.

The man in the fur coat. [Open]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Shadras

Shadras

The man in the fur coat. [Open] Empty
PostSubject: The man in the fur coat. [Open]   The man in the fur coat. [Open] EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Around the modern marvel of human engineering of stone, electrified metal, and barbed wire walked a man in a fur coat. The coat was a patchwork of different pelts, but seemed to have a method to it as, despite the strangeness of it, it blended in well with trees, stone, and snow. A bow on his back, knife at his side, it was as if some ranger had walked out of a story book and had found himself in the real world. Picking easily over the stony slope and humming merrily to himself, Durran Servansky casually searched for the entrance. There was no rush, none at all. Why should there be? The sun wasn't where it needed to be for his vision to be true, yet. But he was confident that he would be where he needed to be when he go. All that mattered was getting there.

The wall on his right was, while quite strange, not the strangest thing he'd seen. And oh, the sights he had seen on his journey south where Jack Frost shrank from being able to eat one's arm to merely nipping at his nose. At least, that was how he felt. Imagine, he thought, people livin' closer than three miles away. How kin anyone stand it.

To his observations, people didn't stand it too well. Rushing this way and that. Shouting at each other. Sometimes coming together and other times breaking apart. All of it seemed too quick. Such rushing should be saved for more important matters. However, until he saw and important matter, he was content to merely wander his way towards his destination. Unknowingly to him, Durran was headed directly for the gate to the city and would soon arrive.
Back to top Go down
Honey Badger

Honey Badger

PostSubject: Re: The man in the fur coat. [Open]   The man in the fur coat. [Open] EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 4:26 pm

By all accounts, it should have been like any other day for Devin. Wake up, have dinner with Aleta, go to work and have nothing happen...It was simple, but he enjoyed it - mostly after the chaos the announcement of Leo becoming Headmaster had been. Better to have no trouble and be board, after all. It meant the city was safe. But yet, Devin did his normal patrols as dutifully as ever, a scythe strapped to his back. He certainly wasn't expecting anything to happen...Which made him freeze when he saw movement on the ground beneath the wall.

With narrowed eyes, he peered over the wall to see somebody walking alongside it - a weapon clear on their back while they causally made their way toward the gates. The person didn't look to have evil intentions - they weren't even hiding themselves outside of how their coat blended in...The only reason Devin even spotting them because of the sway of their movement. He stepped away from the wall, shadows gathering along his back as they started to spread into a pair of wings. He had to be careful - there was no telling if this person was a Gifted or not which meant that he couldn't just swoop in and ask questions.

With a flap of his wings - which had grown leathery as the shadows solidified - he took off toward the upcoming gate - careful to stay low enough that the mysterious person wouldn't notice him. As he arrived, he allowed his wings to fade away much like they had appeared. He stepped through the gates, allowing it to shut behind him as he turned to face the direction where the newcomer was arriving from...And soon, he came into view. "Halt!" Devin called out, stepping toward him with an even glare. "Who are you, traveler?"
Back to top Go down
Shadras

Shadras

PostSubject: Re: The man in the fur coat. [Open]   The man in the fur coat. [Open] EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 5:03 pm

Durran returned the glare with a smile like the sun. "Oh hello and good day. It's a pleasure ta meet ya. My name is Durran Servansky and I'm a traveler from the distant north who, from peering into the flames, has seen that," he checked the sky, "I would be in this very spot and greeted by a fellow who would be able to let me inside this strange barricade of molded stone and twisted wire as, not wanting to appear rude or as a thief, I did not climb it. Might I know your name?"

During this, he casually splayed his hands with his palms facing the man. Showing that he meant no harm, while also appearing welcoming and friendly, as if Durran wasn't asking to be let in, but rather letting someone into his own home. However, while his black eyes did glitter brightly, they did not hide the fact that fur coated Durran was examining every inch of the man in front of him. Taking note of his weapon and of his demeanor. Nor, however, did his eyes attempt to conceal this or anything about Durran. In fact, to look upon him was to see a veritable open book of calm, yet casual excitement. To Durran, this was the next leg of his journey about to begin, and he was almost, but not quite, in a hurry to start.
Back to top Go down
Honey Badger

Honey Badger

PostSubject: Re: The man in the fur coat. [Open]   The man in the fur coat. [Open] EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 7:25 pm

There was a flicker of surprise across Devin's face at the response that he got - expecting the strange man to be rather closed off instead  of rattling off his story. There was a nervousness to him as the man explained why he was there. They couldn't allow a stranger in the city - not when they didn't know if he was Gifted or not. But...Peering into the flames? That...That could be the information he needed.

He allowed himself to relax a bit, putting up a calm air as the man did seem truly peaceful. "...Devin," he said after a while, giving a slight nod of his head. "Devin Morris.  Its pleasure to meet you, Durran, but I am afraid getting past this gate won't be so easy. We have our rules to keep us safe but...If it isn't to much to pry, what exactly do you mean by 'peering into the flames?'" It was dangerous to let strangers in - Rivers Pointe was for the Gifted only and the only Blanks allowed were that who had Gifted family. It was impossible to tell if this man was Gifted or not but what he had said about the flames...It certainly sounded like a Gift.
Back to top Go down
Shadras

Shadras

PostSubject: Re: The man in the fur coat. [Open]   The man in the fur coat. [Open] EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 8:26 pm

For a moment, Durran frowned. Not as if he was upset but, rather, was trying to figure out how best to answer Devin. After all, it was difficult to show only what he could see. But then the solution presented itself to him and, as right as rain and sure as the sun, Durran's smile sprang back across his face. Holding his hand up as if to say, "just a tick," he pulled off his pack.

And a full pack it was. Even on the outside there seemed to be gear. Rope and grapple. Bow and arrow. Bedroll and a rolled bundle that could possibly be a tent of furs. The pack itself had numerous pouches filled with unknown things that Durran did not busy himself with. Rather, the man in the fur coat opened the central pocket and, after pulling out several wrapped parcels, removed a deceptively simple wooden tube. However, lightly engraven upon it were complex designs that seemed to mimic fire, especially as it moved.

Removing the top, Durran delicately fingered through its contents. Rolled sheets of parchment. Finding what he wanted, the young man slid out a single sheet and proffered it to Devin. The drawing itself seemed to be a charcoal base that had had a thin film of wax applied to it to protect the drawing, but upon it was a strange sight indeed. For, as accurate as it had been just as Devin had landed, was the exact scenery. Even down to Devin himself when he had just landed, his wings of shadow not quite yet beginning to fade. True it was that neither had met each other before, yet there Devin was upon the paper.
Back to top Go down
Honey Badger

Honey Badger

PostSubject: Re: The man in the fur coat. [Open]   The man in the fur coat. [Open] EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 2:10 pm

Devin watched Durran with a careful gaze, straightening up when he moved toward his pack. He tensed, not sure what to expect but allowed himself to relax when he realized the man wasn't grabbing a weapon but simply a tube...Before being handed a parchment. He raised an eyebrow, silently accepting it as he unfolded it and stared at the drawing of...Himself with his shadowy wings to boot. There was a long moment of silence before he rolled it up and handed it back.

"Well," he said as he cleared his throat. "I think that is proof enough for now. Welcome to River's Pointe, Durran. Follow me, I'll lead you to the city proper." With a flicker of his hand, he turned and headed through the gate. He glanced over his shoulder, watching the newcomer with a slightly wary gaze. "I imagine that you don't know much about our city if you have just been following your visions...Our city is a safe-haven for people like you and I - people who have abilities that most could only dream of..."

Not that he thought that people would ever dream of having a gift like his. He allowed the silence to carry for a few seconds, before he continued on. "We've had trouble in the past, so we have been always nervous on allowing outsiders. So, while I am allowing you acceptance due to the rather good proof that you are Gifted like the majority of the city, you will be given a bracelet that will allow us to keep an eye on your location and Gift usage - just to make sure that you can be trusted. Almost everybody wears a bracelet however, a simple safety procedure so don't think this as anything against you personal," he explained, holding up his own arm as he pulled back the sleeve, showing off the silver bracelet - perhaps a bit like a cuff that had a soft blinking light...A simple reminder to go shopping once his shift was done.
Back to top Go down
Shadras

Shadras

PostSubject: Re: The man in the fur coat. [Open]   The man in the fur coat. [Open] EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 6:37 pm

As Devin attempted to hand back the paper, Durran politely warded it off, saying, "Tis yours now, isn't it. I gave it ta ya. It's a, what's the right word, gift. Ah, that's it. Yes, it's a gift for ya. Podarok in my home tongue."

"Glad it serves as proof. Not that'd I'd be in a bind if it didn't fare to standards. Kin live out here well enough." Grinning brightly, Durran ambled after Devin, continuing, "Aye, I'd much like to see your city proper like and all. Can't see much from here. Hope it isn't all just twisted wire and grey stone. Seen a city or two that looked like that. Didn't look much like decent places to live. You lot do indeed have a queer idea as to where to live. Even when ya don't live in such wired prisons. Still, some of ya seem ta like it and t'will be useful ta see it through at least once."

Despite having had plenty of dreams to the contrary, Durran didn't reply to the idea that people having powers was such a far stretch. For him, it was a natural as breathing to know of, least of all dream of, what these and other few people he'd met, called strange powers. "Ah, ye need not worry about wasting such a kind gift on me." Durran, with simple honesty, said, "me gift can't do more than show me random sights in the fire. Sometimes, they're important. But others, I may just be seeing someone eating a bit o' stew. Kin't really harm much anyone with that as, well, it seems ta happen whether I watch or no. Sure, I go and do something, like here, but that's just fulfilling what I already saw. Tain't no offense to me, understand, but I just don't want to be wasting yer time. Kin look after meself and create accommodations. So just a walk around of the town, or is it city, and we'll be grand."
Back to top Go down
Honey Badger

Honey Badger

PostSubject: Re: The man in the fur coat. [Open]   The man in the fur coat. [Open] EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 7:04 pm

Devin was surprised when the man refused to take the scroll back, but after a few moments to think it over, tucked it beneath one of his arm with a soft nod. It had been a rather beautifully drawn piece - the details in it stunning...He was sure him and Aleta could perhaps find a place to hang it up if anything. He listened in silence as the man spoke, arms held behind his back as he carried himself in a formal stance, looking the part as a proper guard.

He found himself frowning thought when the man rejected the idea of getting a Unity Link. He glanced over his shoulder. "I..." he started, before frowning even sharper. It hadn't been something that was to really be...Rejected. It wasn't as much a gift as just a step to make sure everybody was safe. But, listening as the man went on about his gift, he hesitated before he sighed. "I do not want to force somebody as kind as yourself to wear one if you do not want it. I...Suppose, you do seem the honest sort. If you do not want a Unity Link, you may go without one as you look to be above the age where it is mandatory but they have many uses and I would recommend you look into getting equipped with one at some point, just to make your life here in Rivers' Pointe much easier."

Speaking off...Devin gave a few taps into his bracelet, a simple notice to the other Guardians that there was a newcomer in the city via the Wall - having proven themselves to be Gifted and that he was stepping away from his post to take them to the city. He was certain they could find somebody to take over his duty - he was about to be done with this shift anyways. Once the message was sent, he turned to look at Durran again. "Rivers' Pointe is a city - one founded by the Gifted as a safe-heaven where we could live in peace and out in the open. Many Blanks - people without gifts as we call them - do not take...Lightly to us, as Gifts, such as mine, are often looked down upon and would have us labeled as monsters so Beata Academy was founded as a safe-heaven where we could learn how to understand our Gifts and soon Rivers' Pointe rose up around it," he explained.

He didn't see introducing Durran to the city as a waste of his time - in fact it was one of the few highlights of the job he truly enjoyed. He worked closely with his sister, a Blank, to find Gifted out in the world so that they could be brought to the city to properly grow and learn their Gifts. He loved the idea of other Gifted finally finding a safe spot in the world, as he had been one of the few lucky ones that had a family who accepted their Gift and had worked hard in sending him to Beata to master it. While Durran's form of arrival was...Interesting as few outsides ever stumbled across the city like that, it was still something he took pride in. After all, his duty as a Guardian was to make sure all Gifted were safe anyways.
Back to top Go down
Shadras

Shadras

PostSubject: Re: The man in the fur coat. [Open]   The man in the fur coat. [Open] EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 8:14 pm

Durran laughed. A jovial laugh. Rich and well used. "Not to worry, my new friend," he said, "I kin manage quite well. After all, I walked here. Good long trip that was. Plenty of time for seeing things and enjoying the displays of Jack Frost, Cesillia Spring, Bordarin Heat, and Moiraine fall. Wa Ha! It has been a good year of walking and meandering to reach here. Not a moment too soon nor too late."

"But ye call the giftless blanks. Odd that. They don't seem blank to me. Ha! Many know more than me bout the important things in the world. Just ask me grandmother. Maybe you haven't met enough of the decent ones. Some day, we'll go hiking back to me home. Then I'll show you me neighbors. Live three miles away they do, from my home that is! Not a power among them. Grand folk, simply grand."

Sincere sorrow colored his voice as he spoke his next words, "But I'm true sad to hear that ye been seen as a monster. Tain't never met a man who was a monster affore, an' I have a good feeling that you don't try ta be one. Though, I have met a few monsters with the skins of men. Stranger than strange folk them. Best avoid them. Or perhaps I only saw them in the flames! Ha! That may be true. I'll have to check me drawin's. Ah, but I kin see a look in yer eyes. Ya ready for me ta see yer fair city. Well, lead on me friend, lead on. My drawin's kin wait."
Back to top Go down
Honey Badger

Honey Badger

PostSubject: Re: The man in the fur coat. [Open]   The man in the fur coat. [Open] EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 8:37 pm

Devin was honestly surprised at how much the person talked, but it was a comfort to listen to words on the trek to the city. He nodded his head at the words, waiting until Durran had finished before he took his turn to speak. "Don't get me wrong, I don't believe that all Blanks are evil - my mother and my sister are both without Gifts and are accepting of my abilities. My sister even uses her job to help us locate Gifted in needs - those who truly need our help in learning to control what they can do...Its just that I know that many would be distrusting of those who have the abilities to turn into creatures, control the elements or hold sway over people's feelings..."

He sighed softly, giving a shrug of his shoulder. "But all in all, I do not hate the Blanks. I understand why if they knew about our gifts, they would fear and hate us. For the longest time, I felt at odds with my own gift due to my religion - even if my father did his best to soothe my fears, I was always afraid of being nothing more than a monster but now I use my ability to not only protect the gifted here, but what Blanks live among us as well. I've chosen to be more than what was expected of me and to spend my life using my power to protect instead of destroy. Besides...It isn't one-sided - I know a good deal of Gifted who despise the Blanks, seeing them as lesser even if they know better to act on their feelings. But me? My bond with my family lets me see both sides of the coin, and I truly only hate those who would use their abilities - Gifted or not - for harm.
Back to top Go down
Shadras

Shadras

PostSubject: Re: The man in the fur coat. [Open]   The man in the fur coat. [Open] EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 9:32 pm

"The man who hates another man for being what he is, is thrice the fool of the king's court or the idiot dancin' on a wet, open well wall," Durran replied, "Leastwise, that's what me Grandmother says. An' she kin make a fool of anybody you ever saw. Wa ha! I imagine she'd make a fool of me if my journey here weren't dream blessed. But no, hate a person for who he is, never what. They kin hardly help that. Who, on the other paw, lies lastly with oneself after all other things have been considered."

"Still, tis has been one of the stranger things I've seen in these concrete forests. Baseless hate. But, ah, let not our discourse discolor our mood over much! Tis the day of my birth and near Christmas! Our voices must be merry and full of good, growing fellowship. Show me yer city and I shall be a good and attentive companion."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The man in the fur coat. [Open]   The man in the fur coat. [Open] Empty

Back to top Go down

The man in the fur coat. [Open]
Page 1 of 1